Sunday, November 28, 2010

Photo Shoot: The Hypo Haus

What a name for a bank, the Hypo Haus, pronounced "Hippo House", a gift for an English Tabloid referring the fat cats of the banking world.  In my case the vast profits of this this financial institution have resulted in the creation of some very photogenic architecture.  Recently I went out to take some images for "Exercise 6: Highlight Clipping", and used the opportunity to take some details of this strange edifice.

The dominant feature of the bank are the supporting pillars, here I have used them to frame the picture, but allowed the street lights to interfere with what would otherwise be a very clean composition:


Moving around and going in much closer (I am using a 70-200mm zoom on an APS-C sensor) I went for a far more geometrical composition.  The reflections in the glass deepen the image and add some complexity to an otherwise simple frame.  I could have gone for pure symmetry, but wanted that broken by the fold in the building.


As I walked around the bank I became very aware of  the many different planes within the banks geometry and the possibilities created by overlaps and reflections:


 In the above image I have included the sky, however, I find the images to be far more satisfying when framing to only encompass the bank:




Alternatively a simple plane presents a strong image, if a little limited


I am very much drawn to superimposition of natural objects against architecture:


Human interaction with the architecture also interests me, this is a bus and subway stop just opposite the banks main entrance:


Other than the bank, I also captured some other architectural details during my perambulation:






Finally I passed this tree on the way home.  It seems to be bent by the wind, however, that cannot be in this area.  I suspect it has had branches removed from the left side to avoid hindering the passage of vehicles down the lane.  Interesting site for future work.


Looking at the imagery I am currently capturing, I think I am in a modernist phase, geometry, angles, shapes... all appeal very strongly.  As I work through this course it will be interesting to see how this develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment